Thursday, February 21, 2008

Last weekend my dad bought a jeep truck on Ebay. He was planning on driving his Ford Taurus up to Raton, NM, just south of the Colorado border with Daniel and Richard and driving a caravan home.

About an hour after he told me of this plan, the same day he was going to leave it occurred to me that I should have offered him my suburban and a tow bar I have to tow it back, then it wouldn't take two drivers at all times. Then I realized April might need a break from Cameron, and I wouldn't mind a little road trip so I offered to take the RV and tow bar, which we did.

We left at about 5:30 on Friday evening and got home at about 2am Sunday morning. We were not driving for approximately 6 of the 32 hours on this trip. We had fun and even Cameron managed to get some sleep while the RV was moving.

At one stop for gas in Gallup on the way to Raton Daniel woke up as we were pulling onto a bumpy road and asked "Are we off-roading?" About two hours later I woke him so he could take a shift driving soon. I mentioned his off-roading comment and he didn't even remember saying it!

When we saw the jeep, I noticed that some brackets on the winch bumper looked similar to the mounts we would need to install to put the tow-bar on and sure enough, they fit perfectly. We just had to clip it on and put the transfer case in neutral. The jeep tracked straight and the RV pdulled it pretty well.

A lot of that part of New Mexico is flat plains with lots of wind. The wind made it a real challenge to keep the RV in the lane. This was partly because the wind affected the jeep and RV differently so the jeep would sometimes amplify the corrections of the driver. Daniel didn't get to drive home because of these challenges, but he managed to get enough sleep not to mind, I think.

Here is a picture of the RV with the jeep at my house on Sunday morning.

1 comment:

Lolly said...

You are crazy!! That is one long drive with a kid in a motor home. How does the Jeep run? I've always wanted a Jeep, but my dad always said I take corners too fast and I'd tip it!